Eyelash Extensions - Pros & Cons
Posted by Vanessa Quinteros on
By Vanessa Quinteros
Lash extensions exploded onto the scene in the early 2000’s and gained popularity very quickly. There was now a way to have beautiful, natural looking lashes for extended periods of time. Who doesn’t want to wake up to great lashes, and not have to apply mascara or fake looking strip lashes!?! Since then, there have been advancements in technique, lash selections and more. Now that extensions have been around for almost over two decades, what have we learned? What are the pros and cons of eyelash extensions and are there any new options out there now?
Let’s start by breaking down what people love about traditional salon lash extensions, and what they’re not that thrilled about.
The Pros1. Lash Extensions look great and are instantly gratifying! After just one appointment you can have wispy, fluttering lashes.
2. They are customizable. Extensions are offered in a variety of sizes, styles and color options! This allows you and your lash artist to create a lash map perfect for you.
3. No more mascara or strip lashes! You will no longer have to deal with clumpy or runny mascara. Or the challenge of applying strip lashes.
4. Saves you time in the morning! Even though mascara application does not take too long, it’s still one less thing to do or add in your routine. You can’t beat looking in the mirror first thing in the morning and having fabulous lashes.
5. Lash extensions can last up to 2-3 weeks.
The Cons1. Expensive process. Regularly getting lash extensions can set you back hundreds of dollars. Depending on where you live, the type of extensions you choose, and the experience of your lash tech, your initial appointment can cost you anywhere from $100 - $300. And your lash fills, that are required every 2-3 weeks can cost $50 - $100.
2. Time commitment. The first appointment can take 2-3 hours, as your lash tech applies false lash fibers to each natural lash. Lash fill appointments can be 1-2 hours depending on the condition of the lashes.
3. Can be high maintenance for some. Aside from the initial instructions to follow right after application (for example avoiding water/steam for 48 hours), there are other instructions and things to avoid. Like regularly cleansing the lashes and avoiding oil-based products.
4. Adjusting skin care and sleep habits to extend the wear, look, and health of your natural lashes.
5. That awkward in-between stage. Natural lashes shed at different rates, and so do your lash extensions. For this reason you will often walk around with wonky lashes and gaps until your next fill appointment.
6. Possible risks. Due to the chemicals in the bonds (like formaldehydes and cyanoacrylates) some experience an allergic reaction, irritation, inflammation, or dry eye.
So, what did we learn?
If you find extensions are too much of an investment, not worth the maintenance, or you are not willing to take the possible risks, are there other options?
Yes! Introducing Lashify... the art of DIY at-home lash extensions! How is that possible you ask? It’s all due to Lashify’s innovative technology consisting of flexible bonds, Underlash™ application technique, and patented Gossamer lash that is weightless.
The Lashify® Control Kit™
Lashify’s patented bonds (Whisper Light™ and Bondage™) do not contain the harsh chemicals found in traditional salon glues. They remain flexible and don’t cure all the way, creating a soft cushion between your natural lash and the false lash to keep the integrity and health of your natural lashes.
Lashify’s patented applicator, the Fuse Control™ Wand is ideal for application, and gently fuses the lash to your natural lash without any damage.
Lashify’s patented Gossamer lashes are virtually weightless, entirely customizable, easily applied in sections to the underside of your upper lash, making it undetectable!
Therefore, with Lashify you get all the advantages of lash extensions without the downsides and for a fraction of the cost. Lashify extensions are usually worn 5-7 days and can be applied or removed in minutes from the comfort of your own home! You never have to deal with that “in between lash fill look”, and you are in control of when they come on and off. No more lengthy appointments or being beholden to a lash technician and their schedule.
So, what’s the best choice!?! At the end of the day, do what is best for your personal preference and lifestyle. Take a moment to research your options in order to choose the best fit. By now so many people have tried lash extensions, so you are bound to have a friend or family member that can give their personal opinion and experience. Some have even chosen to combine options! For example some will occasionally get lash extensions and do their own fills with Lashify. The choice is yours!
Find out what others are saying about their Lashify experience on the Lashify Life Facebook group!